Classes, Lectures & Tours
A Walk Across the Brooklyn Bridge
A view from above
The Brooklyn Bridge began New York’s age of heroic construction and is essential to an understanding of
local history and culture. Through the why and how of the Bridge we read, for example…
* this city’s dynamic expansion;
* the unparalleled density of the Lower East Side;
* the creation of business and residential districts everywhere;
* the stature of history’s greatest seaport;
* the first hard step in American racial integration.
The pedestrian walkway offers spectacular views and, like the Bridge itself, is an emblem of the nation’s values
at its best as of its opening in 1883.